Renowned Scientist and ICT expert, Prof. Dr. BS Chowdhry is an Emeritus Professor and former Dean, Faculty of Electrical, Electronics, & Computer Engineering, Mehran University of Engineering & Technology (MUET) Jamshoro. In 2017 he received status of Distinguished National Professor. He has varied experience in diversified fields such as Electronics, Telecommunication, Microprocessor Technology, Internet of Things, Telemedicine, Wireless sensor networks, conditioning monitoring etc. After completing his first degree in Electronic engineering discipline in 1983, he did PhD in the field of Microprocessor Based Intelligent Instrumentation from the school of Electronics and Computer Science University of Southampton, UK in 1990.
He supervised/co-supervised more than dozen PhD’s and more than 50 MPhil/Master’s Thesis in the area of ICT. His list of research publication crosses to over 60 in national and international journals, IEEE and ACM proceedings. He has also have credit of becoming one of the editor of books “Wireless Networks, Information Processing and Systems”, CCIS 20, and “Emerging Trends and Applications in Information Communication Technologies”, CCIS 281, and “Wireless Sensor Networks for Developing Countries”, CCIS 366 published by Springer Verlag, Germany in addition to more than dozen books published nationally. He is recipient of Higher Education Commission (HEC) University Best Teacher Award 2001 (Awarded by Federal Minister of Education) and National Cultural Award-2002 in recognition of achievements in the field of Engineering Profession (Awarded by Federal Minister of Culture, Tourism, Minorities affairs, 23 Sep 2002) and Presidential Highest Academic Distinction Award (Izaz-e-Fazeelat) in 2009.
He is also actively serving national and international professional and scientific bodies in various capacities including: Chairman IEEE Communication Society (COMSOC), Karachi Chapter, Region10 Asia/Pacific, Fellow IEP, Senior Member, Institute of Electrical & Electronic Engineers Inc. (USA), SENIOR Member, Association of Computer Machinery (ACM), USA, Member IEEE Industrial Electrical Society, Member IEEE Communication Society, Member IEEE Society on Social Implications of Technology, Member IEEE Education Society, Member IEEE Instrumentation & Measurement Society, Member, The International Society for Telemedicine & e-Health (ISfTeH), Switzerland, Member, World Federation of Engineering Organization (WFEO), France, Member, International Association of Engineers (IAENG), Member Engineering Accreditation Committee PEC, Member Governing Body PEC (2012-2014), Expert reviewer ICTR&D, and various HEC reviewers/experts Committees, Honorary Consulting Editor “Engineering Review” and “Wire and Wireless” Magazine. He has organized many International conferences in Pakistan including IMTIC08, IEEE SCONEST, IMTIC12, IEEE PSGWC 13, WSN4DC13and IMTIC13, IMTIC15, IMTIC’18 and proceedings of these conferences have been published by Springer Germany.
Also he was trusted responsibilities of Lead person for four European Commission Erasmus Mundus exchange programs “Mobility for Life”, “STRoNG-TiES” (Strengthening Training and Research through Networking and Globalisation of Teaching in Engineering Studies), INTACT (It’s Time for CollaboratioNTowArds Close CooperaTion) and LEADERS (Leading mobility between Europe and Asia in Developing Engineering educations and ReSearch).
Major Achievements: Only Known Professor of MUET Pakistan
- Only known Meritorious Professor in BPS 22 who Received Presidential Highest Academic Distinction Award IZAZ–E–FAZEELAT for his contribution towards Engineering Education awarded by President of Pakistan.
- Only known Professor who has been awarded UNESCO Guest Scientist/Associateship of ICTP, Italyfor Twelve (12) Years and European Union Erasmus Fellowship. Under these Fellowships, he delivered Keynote lectures in Italy, England, Ireland, USA, France, Germany, Malaysia, China, Singapore, Pakistan, Spain, Cyprus, Bahrain, UAE, Norway, Japan and Switzerland.
- Only known Professor who is the editor of 1st ever book “Career Roadmap Guide for Engineers”. Hundreds of Engineers developed their career using guidance written in this book.
- Only known Professor who has Introduced Erasmus Mundus Program in Pakistan “Mobility of Life” and then “STRoNG-TiES”, “EM-INTACT” and “EM-LEADERS”. Hundreds of Students, Graduates, and Staff availed fully funded scholarships under these European Projects.
- Only known Professor whose several books have been published by Springer Germany, a world known publisher which brought good name for the country.
- Only known Professor who is the Guest Editor of Springer International Impact Factor Journal “Wireless Personnel Communication”.
- Only known Professor who as a “Chief Editor” of “IT Vision Magazine” published in three languages viz-a-viz Sindhi, Urdu and English, launched by Dr. Atta-Ur-Rehman. The magazine became the popular for imparting IT knowledge in Schools and Colleges.
- Only known Professor who has organized International Conferences in Pakistan and abroad like International Multi-Topic conference (IMTIC), GCWOC16, GCWOC17, GCWOC18 in Spain, IEEE Pakistan Student/GOLD/WIE Congress (IEEE PSGWC), Institution of Electrical & Electronics Engineers Pakistan (IEEEP) student Seminars, IEEE Communications Society (IEEE COMSOC) Events which brought big name and fame for the university and country.
- Only known Professor who has been invited by the Technological Developed Countries like Italy, Denmark, Ireland, Malaysia to conduct PHD EXAMINATIONin the advance areas of ICT.
- Authored / edited a number of Guides, handbooks in the field of Information and Communication Technologies (Received prestigious International NCR IT Excellence Award from Prime Minister for this contribution).
- Only known Professor who has been awarded Distinguished National Professor in Engineering and ICT.
- Only known Professor who have produced Highest number (15) PhD’s in the area of ICT in Pakistan including 1st ever PhD in ICT in the year 2002.